for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 2 lb flank steak(910 g)
- 14 slices provolone cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, until translucent and the edges start to brown.
- Push the onion to one side of the pan and add the red and green bell peppers to the pan. Season with 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon of pepper, and cook until the peppers soften, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place the steak on the cutting board, and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin to about ½-inch (1 ¼ cm) thick.
- Remove the plastic wrap and season the steak on both sides with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of pepper.
- Line 7 slices of Provolone cheese along the bottom edge of the steak. Place the sautéed vegetables on top.
- Starting from the bottom, roll up the steak, encasing the cheese and vegetables inside.
- Top with the remaining 7 slices of Provolone and secure with skewers or toothpicks.
- Transfer the steak roll to a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, until cheese is melty and the steak is cooked through to your preference.
- Rest for 10 minutes before slicing between the skewers and serving.