Japanese egg and pork curry soup
There’s nothing like a warming bowl of this curry soup to chase away the chills.
- 8 cups (2L) beef stock
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 2 long green shallots, white part finely chopped, green part shredded
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup (100g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbs curry powder
- tbs each mirin and sake
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 270g udon noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- Nori sheets and bonito flakes (optional – from Asian food shops), to serve
SAKE AND MIRIN PORK
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 500g pork mince
- 2cm piece (10g) ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbs each mirin and dark soy sauce
- 2 tbs sake
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- To make the soup, heat stock in a saucepan over high heat until hot, then cover and set aside.
Spiced pork schnitzel recipe
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a second saucepan over medium-high heat.finely chopped shallot and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until foaming. flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes to cook flour through. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until well combined. In 2 batches, gradually whisk hot stock into curry mixture. Bring to a simmer, stir through mirin, sake and soy, reduce heat to low and cover to keep hot.
- Meanwhile, for the sake and mirin pork, heat oil in a frypan over high heat. Add pork and ginger, and cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 4 minutes or until browned. Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- To cook the eggs, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, carefully add eggs and cook for 6 minutes 30 seconds for a soft-set yolk, or until cooked to your liking. Immediately drain and transfer to a bowl of iced water. When cool enough to handle, peel and stand in iced water until needed.
- Bring soup back to the boil. Divide noodles and soup among serving bowls. Top with pork mixture, halved eggs, shredded shallot, nori and bonito, if using, to serve.