The whole family will enjoy this easy to make potato and leek soup.
Featured in Nutrition information, Vegetarian recipes
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil, plus extra for croutons and to serve
- 1 brown onion, halved, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 medium (about 700g) desiree potatoes, or pontiac potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 leeks, pale section only, washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 1.25L (5 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 3 thick slices day-old white bread, crusts removed, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Select all ingredients
- Step 1: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the potato and leek and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek softens.
- Step 2: Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potato is soft. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Step 3: Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced. Place bread in a roasting pan. Drizzle with remaining oil and toss until bread is evenly coated. Toast in preheated oven, shaking pan occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until crisp. Remove croutons from oven and set aside.
- Step 4:Transfer one-third of the potato mixture to the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat in 2 more batches with the remaining potato mixture. Alternatively, use a stick blender to blend in the saucepan.
- Step 5:Place the soup over medium heat. Add the cream and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until hot. Taste and season with salt.
- Step 6:Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with croutons, a drizzle of olive oil and serve immediately.